Sunday, April 10, 2011

Assignment...

OK, I alluded to it in the last post. It's official. I received my letter of appointment from the Archbishop last week and it was announced at the parishes this weekend.

As you know, I'm coming to the end of what has been a very interesting three years. It's been a great time studying canon law, living in Washington, DC (yes, I said it. I sure wouldn't want to live the rest of my life in this crazy town, but it's a fun place sometimes...), and being a student. I've made a lot of great friends up here: classmates, guys who live in the house here, and my professors. I'm going to miss our dinner conversations here at the house. With guys studying everything from canon law to moral theology to ancient languages to philosophy, the conversations can range from the idiotic to the sublime. While I could have done with a little less paper writing and other school work, I've often thought that when I make it to 70, I'm going to look back on these three years and remember them as a great time. While I'm looking forward to the future, I'm also leaving some great memories behind here.

Allright, no more suspense. I've been assigned as pastor of St. Francis Xavier in Mt. Washington, KY, and All Saints in Taylorsville, KY. The effective date is June 22. I am really pleased with the assignment. Both parishes have wonderful reputations; faithful people who are dedicated to the Church. I've already received several nice e-mails from parishioners welcoming me. I can't wait to get home and begin the assignment. The parishes are about twenty or so miles south of Louisville. I'll have additional responsibilities at the tribunal (putting my JCL degree to work), as well as continuing to celebrate the Extraordinary Form Mass in Louisville. No pastor has only one job nowadays - and my plate will be plenty full - but after three years as a student I'm ready to get back into the life of being a parish priest. If I've learned anything these past three years (other than a healthy dose of canon law), it's that my heart lies in a parish.

The Parish Website is HERE.

All Saints Parish, Taylorsville:


St. Francis Xavier Parish, Mt. Washington:

1 comment:

Testing said...

Congratulations on a wonderful assignment! Fr. Bob (several years ago now) and Fr. Scott have paved a wonderful path for you.

I think you'll find the people of these parishes to be very supportive and active in their community. More than anything, I'm glad you're excited about your assigment. We can't wait to have you back in the area!